Located in Orange, Virginia, Montpelier was the plantation house of the Madison family, including fourth President of the United States, James Madison, and his wife Dolley. Consisting of over 2, 500 acres, thr property is a National Historic Landmark and listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1966. In 1983, the last private owner of Montpelier, Marion duPont Scott, bequeathed the estate to the National Trust for Historic Preservation. The National Trust for Historic Preservation (NTHP), has owned and operated the estate since 1984. The origins of the name Montpelier are uncertain, but the first recorded use of the name comes from a 1781 James Madison letter. Madison personally liked the French spelling of the name Montpellier, meaning 'Mount of the Pilgrim.' Montpellier, France was a famous resort. Clues from letters and visitor descriptions suggest these origins of the plantation's name. For more information, click HERE.